Since 2014 he is the only representative from the LEFT political group at the Presidium of the European Parliament. According to the VoteWatch.EU, he is one of the top 10 most influential MEPs in the European Parliament.
Born in 1955 in Athens. Graduated with distinction from Varvakeio Junior High School of Athens and studied with scholarship at the School of Civil Engineering of NTUA (National Technical University of Athens).
He has worked as an engineer and business executive for 25 years (1980-2004). He is married to Nadia Soubasaki and they have two children.
- 2004-2009: Member of European Parliament
- 2009-2014: Member of the National Parliament
- 2014-2019 Re-elected Member of European Parliament.
At the suggestion of Alexis Tsipras, he was unanimously elected head of the SYRIZA delegation.
- Vice-President of the European Parliament (42.1% of votes). Re-elected Vice President in January 2017 with a percentage of 73.5%.
- In the Parliamentary Evaluation Report on the term 2014-2019, published by "Vote Watch Europe" , Dimitris Papadimoulis was evaluated as the Greek MEP with the greatest influence on the European Institutions.
In an earlier report by VoteWatch.EU, he was also one of the three most active MEPs in the entire European Parliament, for the period 2004-2009.
- 2019 - now
Member of European Parliament. Elected first, with the highest number of votes among the SYRIZA-Progressive Alliance MEPs (272.835 votes). Head of the SYRIZA delegation at the EP.
- Vice President of the European Parliament with a percentage vote of 60.5%. Re-elected Vice President in January 2022 with a percentage of 74.8%.
He is a full member of the Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs (ECON) and the Committee on Budgets (BUDG) and a substitute member of the Committee on Regional Development (REGI).
Responsibilities as Vice-President of the European Parliament:
- High-level Group on Gender Equality and Diversity, Chair
- Working Group on Information and Communication Policy, Member - Working Group on Buildings, Transport and Green Parliament, Member
- Chancellery of the European Citizen’s Prize, Member
- Replacing the President for European trade unions
- Replacing the President for the Council of Europe and the Inter-Parliamentary Union (IPU)
- D-US, Delegation for relations with the United States - Member
- D-ACP, Delegation to the ACP-EU Joint Parliamentary Assembly - Substitute